Google
AWESOME DEVOTIONS: GOD'S FENCES

Sunday, December 30, 2007

GOD'S FENCES

When I was a young child, I always wanted a dog. But we moved a lot and my parents wouldn't let us get one. Then, finally we got a house when I was about 11 years old that had a fence plus a dog house already in the back yard!! We were finally able to get a puppy! Missy became part of our family and was with us for over 15 years! She was always there for me - bringing me her toys when I didn't feel well, sleeping with me at night, running and playing with me! I loved her so much! She was supposed to be an outside dog - there was a fence and her own dog house (which we carpeted!) after all! But other than going outside to do her "business" and play, Missy was an inside dog - sleeping on the couch when she thought no one was looking and laying on my parents bed - my dad's pillow in particular! She thought no one knew but we saw the indentations on the pillow after she snuck down from the bed! My dad pretended not to notice, and he loved her as much as I did!

My parents had wanted to wait to get a puppy until we had a fence around our yard that would protect her. God has put up fences to protect us, too. There are things out in this world that will lead us to pain and ruin. God has put up "fences" to protect us from those things, not to be kill-joy. The confines of the Christian lifestyle are all that we need to make us happy, satisfied, and fulfilled. But, what do we do? We break out of our "fences" and get hurt from the dangers that He knew were outside the fence.

God does not give us rules to make us miserable. His commandments are given to us because He loves us and wants the best for us. Be content with the good life God has "fenced" you in with!

"Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness." Hebrews 12:10

No comments: