Google
AWESOME DEVOTIONS: ARE YOU A "HONKER" OR "HELPER"

Thursday, December 27, 2007

ARE YOU A "HONKER" OR "HELPER"

My daughter went to visit her roommate's family for a few days over the holidays and on the way home Christmas Eve, she had a flat tire. Luckily we have AAA and she called them but while she was waiting for them to come, people were driving by her so fast she felt like they were going to hit her. She was truly frightened. Then a man stopped, not AAA, just a good samaritan who saw someone in need. He told her he had a 21-year-old daughter (coincidentally the same age as my daughter), and he would want someone to help her if she needed it. AAA finally arrived and helped this man but he had done most of it himself.

I was so grateful to this man for helping my daughter. It also made me think - would I be one of those who went driving by and honking or would I be the person who would help or would I be a "honker"? I would hope that I would be a "helper", not a "honker".

God puts us in situations where we can be helpers, sometimes in situations where someone just needs help with their car, sometimes a shoulder to cry on, encouragement, financial aid, sometimes our time. There a lots of different ways we can be "helpers".

Next time you have the chance to be a "helper", don't pass it up! More often than not, you will get more out of helping someone than they get. And you truly never know what kind of impact you may have on that person. God has put you in that position for a reason - don't turn your back on the opportunity to show God's love!

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life for a ransom for many." Mark 10:45

No comments: