Google
AWESOME DEVOTIONS: READING HIS WORD DAILY

Monday, February 25, 2008

READING HIS WORD DAILY

One of my New Year's resolutions was to read the Bible in its entirety. I had said before that I would do this but have to admit I never completed it. I started out like gangbusters this year - reading much more than the outline said to read daily. But then, once again, I stalled. I became discouraged and angry with myself.

Today when I was praying for God's word for my devotion today, He brought me to a book that is written by Billy Graham. In this book, Mr. Graham spoke of reading the Bible daily and the effect it has on our lives. After reading these words, I realized that many of the difficulties we have in life can be traced back to our lack of Bible reading and study. We shouldn't be content just to skim through a chapter merely to satisfy our conscience and say that we did it! We should thoroughly digest His word and hide it in our hearts! We are better off if we read a smaller portion daily but read it well than to just scan through a larger portion.

I realized I should not be discouraged if I don't read as much daily or if I don't truly understand it all. The Holy Spirit will enlighten me as I continue to read. Reading the Bible has a purifying effect on the body and mind.

Lord, help me to read your Word daily with an open heart and spirit. Help me not to be discouraged if I don't read as much as I think I should or if I don't understand it all. I know that You will lead me to the words You want me to read and to the understanding I need. Help me to grow in your Word daily.

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. Psalm 119:9

No comments: