Google
AWESOME DEVOTIONS: WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR WHEN WE TRUST IN THE LORD

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR WHEN WE TRUST IN THE LORD

Fear is a horrible emotion. People have fears of many things - heights, water, spiders - just to name a few. My biggest fear is of fires. I had a friend who died in a house fire when I was only 12 years old, and I have never gotten over that. I am very afraid of fires in my house.

Last night this fear "flared" up. My daughter was drying her hair in the bathroom when the plug starting making noises and sparking. I did not know what to do, other than shut the fuse off. When I did that, however, it also shut off the refrigerator. I had a refrigerator full of food and didn't want it to go bad. So I turned the fuse back on, did not use the plug again, checked all my smoke detectors in my house, and basically stayed awake all night and prayed that my house would not catch on fire. I called the electrician the first thing this morning and he replaced the outlet. Things are fine now but it made me really think.

While we may never be able to completely get rid of our fears, no matter how rational or irrational they may be, we truly have nothing to fear when we trust in the Lord. He is always there for us no matter what. And while I was truly afraid last night and didn't sleep much, I did find some peace in praying to God to protect my daughter and myself through the night. Every time I would roll over and wake up, I would pray to God to protect us and then I was able to go back to sleep. It may have been a long night, but it certainly would have been a lot longer night had I not had His peace and comfort.

Lord, thank you for the peace that you give us through all situations. Thank you for the peace that passes all understanding.

The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

No comments: