Google
AWESOME DEVOTIONS: HELP ME TO FORGIVE AND BE GRATEFUL

Sunday, June 8, 2008

HELP ME TO FORGIVE AND BE GRATEFUL

I am so frustrated and angry. I live in a condominium complex and we have a communal laundry room. Everyone has their own washer and dryer but they are all in one room. I have lived here for over two years, have grown to love it, and love the neighbors that I know.

Well, I went to do my laundry this morning and someone had stolen the empty laundry basket that was on my washer, all of my fabric softener and fabric softener sheets, and one bottle of detergent. They were kind enough to leave one bottle of detergent. I was so angry. I know it doesn't seem like much but I save every penny I can and laundry supplies are not cheap. But more importantly, it was a horrible feeling to know that someone stole from me.

Of course, I got all in a dither and decided that I was moving! It didn't matter that my home is perfect for me - the right size, the right location, the right price, and, for the most part, great neighbors. I didn't care - I was moving!!

I went outside to sit on my porch and read the paper (the real estate ads!). I have worked hard to make my patio look nice - put lots of plants out, got new chairs, and hung my bird feeder. I love to watch the birds come up to the bird feeder. They will actually come up to it and eat even while I am sitting right there on the porch. It makes me happy to watch them and always puts a smile on my face!

Well, while I was out there steaming about my laundry supplies and looking through the ads, I looked up and there were several birds on the feeder and several more actually walking around my porch. I put the ads down and watched the birds. I began thinking about how grateful I am for my home, how much I truly like it, how perfect it is for me, and how easy it would be to just put my laundry supplies away where no one can get them. My problem would be solved and I am still happy in my home.

God has so truly blessed me with my home and everything in my life. I am so grateful that He opened my eyes on this situation - instead of continuing to be angry and frustrated, He gave me a solution and a peace about the situation. Although I have to admit, I am still a little angry, I feel sorry for whoever stole my things. I would gladly have let them borrow some if they needed it instead of them stealing it. But I am more grateful for the wonderful neighbors that I do have, the ones who have been true friends and have helped me in so many ways. God led me to this home and I believe He wants me to stay here.

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings you have given me. Thank you for the peace You give me even in bad situations. Help me to forgive those who have hurt me and help me to be a good example to them in these situations.

"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart." Matthew 18:35

No comments: